What is the Difference Between Used and Certified Pre-Owned?
As you shop around for your next vehicle to carry you through your daily Raleigh commute, you might consider budget-friendly options like certified pre-owned and used vehicles. But what is the difference between used and certified pre-owned? Although both types of vehicles have had previous owners before they became available for sale at Hendrick Buick GMC Cary, there are some key distinctions to make between CPO vs. used before you make your final decision. Explore their differences with us, below!
What Separates Used Cars from CPO Cars?
Used vehicles have had one or more previous owners and will vary in their mileage and model year. This being the case, they’re priced lower than new vehicles or certified pre-owned vehicles. One of the major perks of used vehicles is that they have a slower rate of depreciation than new vehicles. You might imagine that a used vehicle with 100,000 miles or more is too risky to pursue, but these days, modern vehicles are absolutely capable of lasting well beyond the 100,000-mile mark with proper care. That said, you should still keep these points in mind:
- A used vehicle should be inspected by a professional mechanic and taken on a test drive before you make an offer on it, especially if you’re doing a private sale.
- If any issues with the vehicle’s overall condition or performance are noted, they should be discussed and figured into your budget.
CPO vs. Used: What to Know About CPO Cars
Certified pre-owned cars, like used cars, have had a previous owner driving them around Charlotte. CPO vehicles differ from standard used vehicles in that they’re part of a brand’s CPO Program. In order for a used vehicle from Buick or GMC to qualify for the CPO Program, it must meet these stringent requirements:
- The model year is within 6 years of the current model year
- The vehicle has less than 75,000 miles on the odometer
- The vehicle has passed a multi-point inspection with a certified technician
- The vehicle is protected by a 6-year/100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty, as well as a 12-month/12,000-mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty
Because they need to meet the above criteria, CPO vehicles are usually newer and have fewer miles on them than standard used vehicles, hence their higher price tag. Still, CPO vehicles are more affordable than new vehicles, so if you’re looking for the best of both worlds between new and used, this might just be your perfect solution!
Discover Our Used and CPO Vehicles in Cary, NC
At Hendrick Buick GMC Cary, we have a fantastic selection of used and CPO vehicles! You can have total confidence in your purchase, knowing that we thoroughly inspect the quality and performance of all of our vehicles. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule a test drive in a vehicle that has captured your interest.